bpa;607862 Wrote:
> It's about competition and control.
>
> AFAIK Apple hasn't made an AirPlay player for a PC.
>
> Airplay video has been hacked as the protocol is fairly open (so far)
> and some basic non Apple clients have been built for Linux and Windows.
> If competitive products to AppleTV start supporting Airplay perhaps
> things may change.
>
> Airplay audio still uses the old AirTunes protocol aka RAOP.  This used
> to be open and a few open source projects were started and then the
> protocol was encrypted and development stopped. Although recently new
> efforts are being made to break the encryption such as RAOP support has
> been added to MPD but this approach won't help SBS support by Logitech.

Apple didn't/hasn't released a version to stream TO a computer only
FROM a computer to an iOS device. In order to go that direction your
need AirPlayer or AirFrame (iOS to iOS). JBL is shipping their
speaker/dock that is AirPlay enabled
(http://www.onair.jbl.com/usa_onair.aspx) and Denon has a AV receiver.
It's been confirmed that Apple does license AirPlay for audio (video is
rumored to be coming soon) but it seems it's only for hardware at this
point. Since Apple doesn't make their own speakers, televisions, AV
equipment I doubt it's about competition - more likely just behind the
curve on a broad rollout for the program itself.

--
jackaninny