Sounds like you should be the one to answer that question, as it's not
something too many others want to do. I'd stay away from running an SB1
or older player if audio quality and streaming reliability are a concern
(and I honestly can't think of anything I'd rate as a greater concern)
but if you want to play with them just for giggles, start
experimenting.

The newest version of the server supports the SB1 just fine. Obviously,
the older versions will also work just fine. If you say the newest
version doesn't run well on some particular hardware that you'd like to
use, then run version 6. Offhand, I can't think of any reason why you
wouldn't want the last version of 6 that was developed (6.5.3 or 6.5.4,
IIRC), as the large changes to the database came with 7.0.

--
JJZolx