Discarding mysb.com is easy for those that bought their SBs just to
connect to a local server, but what about those that bought them to use
them with mysb.com? Maintaining a local server is not a walk in the park
for those that lack computer skills. Too many things can go wrong with
an SBS which makes it difficult for your average person to diagnose.
Server hardware, OS, network connectivity, is the SBS app running,
viruses, server crash... etc. Some of my friends and some members of my
family use their SB3s and boom boxes just to listen to Pandora and to a
couple foreign radio stations. Do they need the additional expense and
complexity of an SBS server? I know, there are plugins that allow power
the server on/off... but try asking an elderly member of your family to
configure the SrvCntrl plugin and WOL in the LAN remotely. With
mysb.com when a family member or friend has an issue and the SB is
on... I can quickly narrow it down to network connectivity. If mysb.com
is working from my house they are either having ISP issues or their
router is down. (I acknowledge that lately mysb.com has not been as
reliable as it has been in the past). But rarely does the
hardware/firmware of the boxes fails or do my friends or family have
issues with the LAN connectivity to mysq.com making it easy with just a
computer with a browser from the LAN to determine where the connectivity
issue lies. (LAN or ISP). Something that the average Joe can do.
Mysb.com also serve as an aggregator for all the Internet stream music
services and radio stations. You only need a single id and password of
mysb.com configure in your box to get access to all your subscriptions
from a single point. Without this remote single point of aggregation
one has to locally maintain all the ids and passwords... if the Local
server fails think of all the things you have to do to get a failed
server up and running just to listen to one of your Pandora favorites?
To me one of the advantages of my Squeezebox is that I don't end up with
a brick if my server fails or if I decide to turn my SB server off to
save a few cents on electricity. Again, I agree that the mysb.com needs
to be made more reliable and that Logitech should continue to enhance
this service.

--
tamanaco