Personally I reckon the argument should start with what hardware you own
and can repurpose.

When I killed my Pogoplug (which with 7.6 I had no performance concerns
with).... I remembered that I had an EEE PC 701 with a Celeron M and 1GB
RAM and an nlited XP install.  This is more than powerful for running
Squeezebox server with spotify, music ip, custom browse, dynamic
playlists, spicefly sugarcube and a few more plugins.

When the solid state drive on this dies I am getting a laptop from my
sister with a broken display and I'll use that probably with Debian or
vortexbox.

It's all reasonably power efficient and I haven't wasted money on extra
hardware.

Oh my tunes are stored on a 2.5" portable hard disk so no extra power
is required.

--
fairyliquidizer

"O wad some Power the giftie gie us