jean2;636530 Wrote:
> The Touch can not do 192 kHz because of the CPU, the rest of the HW
> could do it, to support 192 kHz you probably would need twice the
> amount of CPU of the current Touch. 192 kHz is essential for bragging
> rights.
>
> From my experience, what is sucking CPU and memory is usually not the
> server functions, but the user interface. I've put a web server, PHP
> and a database on the first gen Gumstix, which is slower than the
> current Touch. On the other hand, if you want smoother VU meters and
> frequency analysers, you will want more CPU and memory. Same for smooth
> coverflow.
>
> Moore's law always work in your favor. Every 18 months, you get double
> the CPU and memory for the same price. What goes today in your cell
> phone will trickle to your Touch.
>

> From what I can see, normal people don't buy infrastructure. Geeks have
> a long term plan and invest in infrastructure, because they see the
> value. Normal people want instant gratification of their emotional
> purchase. This is why everybody goes with a Cloud approach, it's far
> easier to sell infrastructure as a service.
>
> In other words, a device that does nothing by itself is to me a non
> starter, unless you bundle it as a useful package.
>

> 1) Bigger screen. Those tablet/PMP screens are reaching large volume,
> making them more affordable. 7in should be the new sweet spot.
> 2) 192 kHz support. It's bigger, it must be better. The only way to put
> it on the cover of Stereophile and TAS.
> 3) USB DAC support, two USB ports. Same as above.
> 4) Offer web server interface when running TinySB. Access it with any
> browser, any device, no app required (unless you care about
> usability).
> 5) Facebook integration (I would prefer Skype integration, but that
> would be too difficult)
> I believe all those are not difficult and would improve the appeal. But
> I also believe the Touch2 would not come soon, the Touch is not that
> old.
>
> Regards,
>
> Jean

For some reason the SBS server is CPU intensive in some situations when
doing dB operations, for example thats why Touch is limited to 100 song
playlist and no web-UI because of performance, it has only 128mB of ram
the server uses more on normal platforms ?

The curent facebook app could be improved thats an understatement but
it exist, you can only push ready made posts about what your are
listening to and see wall, news and photos , not write an actual post.

An improved Tiny SC server must run plugins, it basically has to be the
full server, not crippled. That might fly with the help of moores law
but it is usually abused by programmers to be lazy/fast so that even
more inefficient methods of programming can be used to do the same
thing as before.

The Youtube plugin thats available should have some massmarket apeal.

An up to date email checker that works on all devices and with gmail
and stuff .

Some people *shrug* probably wants msn or yahoo's chat thing ?

Seamless integration with portable players and phones, it should just
work to stream to yourself while out of home with your phone etc ?
So you just plonk your phone in friends dock or airshare it or
something.
Basically run your own private cloud from the Touch to compete with
google-music mp3Tunes and iCloud.

--
Mnyb

sub.
Bedroom/Office: Boom
Kitchen: SB3 + powered Fostex PM0.4
Misc use: Radio (with battery)
iPad 64gB wifi +3g with iPengHD & SqueezePad