I pretty much agree with aubuti:  I rip everything with dbpoweramp (the
only thing that I use Windows for, but I just haven't found a native OS
X ripper that I like) to FLAC in one directory tree for SBS, and (using
the the multi-encode feature of dbpoweramp) simultaneously to AAC for
iTunes into a different directory tree.  I then import the AAC files
into iTunes for our various iPods.  I do NOT use iTunes integration for
SBS.  I've been using Songbird to create and export playlists for SBS;
works fairly well.

The holes in this workflow at this time are:
(1) During the dbpoweramp convert-to-AAC, I volume normalize the
resulting AAC using the track gain value; this lets me play back the
digital AAC file on systems (e.g., my car's iPod integration) that
don't pay attention to ReplayGain tags and still have smooth
track-to-track volume.  I'd like to do the volume normalize using the
album gain tag, but dbpoweramp's multi-encode feature won't work like
that since you don't know album gain until you're completely done with
the album rip.  Solution is likely to do the
convert-to-AAC-and-volume-normalize in a batch post-rip, but I just
haven't set that up yet.

(2) I buy very little music off of the iTMS, but I'd like to expand
that for tracks where I have no interest in finding and buying the
actual CD.  Therefore, I'd like to figure out a way to automatically
grab purchased files (in AAC format) from my iTunes directory, slap
ReplayGain tags on them, and copy them to my SBS music tree.  But I
haven't figured that one out yet.

Except for these two holes, I'm really happy with my two-directory
solution and only using iTunes to manage my iDevices.

--
kmr