I do exactly what you're talking about, it's simple.

On your laptop, just open your browser of choice.

Then in the browser address bar type in:

Server IP Address:9000

Replace "Server IP Address" with the IP address of the computer on
which Squeezebox Server is running. and you should be looking at
Squeezebox Server's web interface.

Then go to town.  You should see the Spotify Plug-in under My Apps.

If your server computer has a firewall you may need to adjust the
settings to permit your notebook to have access.

Also, the HTTP port is 9000 by default, but if you've changed it simply
substitute the new address for :9000.

You can find the Server IP address and the HTTP Port Number by going to
Settings > Information in Squeezebox Server.

--
nelamvr6