I originally chose Squeezebox over Sonos for a few reasons:

- I wanted the ability to run the server software on a Network Attached
Storage box and play my music without requiring my computer to be
running. At the time, Sonos didn't have that capability, although it
does now.

- Sonos did not initially offer players designed to connect to existing
stereo systems. They wanted to sell you their amplifiers and speakers
instead of leveraging what you already own. (Sonos now offers players
designed for connection to external systems, but that wasn't the case
early on.)

- I like that Squeezebox software/firmware is open source. If/when the
manufacturer stops supporting it, a few knowledgeable programmers could
keep it running, at least well enough to maintain existing
functionality, when new versions of computer operating systems come
out. Good luck keeping Sonos software alive if the company ever goes
out of business.

My Squeezebox system has been up and running for years, and I see no
reason to change systems now.

--
TiredLegs