Hi again,

Thanks for all you replies. I'll try and make it clearer what I want to
do.At present,I use my dektop as a server, and it's on 24/7,with all my
music on the hard drive. Everything works well, but I'd like to get a
sheevaplug and an external hard drive, which will be on 24/7, enabling
me to free up space on my desktop and not run it 24/7. With that in
mind, I thought I'd experiment by installing a server on my wifes
laptop,and plugging in a spare external hd we have lying around.

So... this is now done, and it's fine. I turn on a boom for example,
select my wifes laptop as a music source, and all the music on that hd
is there, and it plays over wifi perfectly.

I have studied www.sheevaplug.de, and I reckon there's nothing to be
scared of there ( although I take your point Castalla!)but if I get to
the stage with the plug that I've got to now with the laptop, there's
gonna be a time when I want to access the server for
maintenance/plugins etc.

On my dektop, I can see my wifes laptop on the network - I just don't
know how to access her desktop/folders/files

--
gruntwolla

conservatory - classic
lounge - duet plus AE5 speakers
master bedroom  - boom
sons room       - radio
games room      - boom
squeezecommander and squeezeplayer on htc desire
ipeng on other half's iphone