Apparently this issue is still very much alive in version 7.6.1; I
stumbled on this thread while researching the issue I have been having
with my SB3: pausing playback sometimes causes a loud tone to be played
continuously. It has some spread over the frequency spectrum, with a
peak in the 400-800 Hz area (I have a Behringer DEQ2496 which makes it
easy to tell), but it is not always the same tone or frequency
profile.

The thing that more or less confirms it as a bug for me is this: when I
physically power-cycle my SB by pulling the power plug (effectively
rebooting the SB3) the problem is gone again... only to return again at
some later stage. I could not find this issue in any bug report, but
does anyone know whether this bug has been filed at some point in time?
I will disable the fixed volume setting and see if that helps.

--
teejay