Thanks for the reply slippyr4. Fair comment, I'll try to ask a slightly
more direct question.

If I want to use the Revo as a replacement for the QNAP, effectively as
a file server, do I need to install Ubuntu Server, or will the desktop
version do the job? I'm guessing I need the Server version but I've had
a look round and can't find the answer. If so how difficult is the
Server version to install? If I'm asked about DNS and DHCP it might be
a bit beyond me.

But for £200 the Revo looks a good deal for 4MB RAM with a wireless
keyboard and mouse, even if I end up with Windows and just use it as a
PC.

--
solder fumes