I repeat. “You would do better to serve England,” she says. “Cecil knows
that England is more than the king or the queen. All you care about is
who is on the throne. Cecil has a greater vision. Cecil knows it is the
lords and the commons too. It is the people. And the people won’t have a
burning, persecuting wicked Papist queen on the throne ever again. Even
if she is the true heir ten times over. Make sure you tell her that.”
1571, AUGUST, TUTBURY CASTLE: MARY I am like a fox in a trap in this
poor castle, and like a fox I could chew off my own foot for rage and
frustration. Elizabeth promises to return me to my throne in Scotland
but at the same time she is doing everything she can to see that I will
never inherit the greater prize of England. She has taken to courtship
like a woman who knows that her last chance has finally come. They all
say that the old fool has fallen in love with Anjou and is determined
to have him. They say she knows that this is her final chance to wed
and bed and breed. At last, with me on her doorstep and her lords all
for my cause, she realizes that she has to give them a son and heir to
keep me from the throne. At last she decides to do the thing that
everyone said must be done: take a man as her husband and lord and pray
that he gives her a son. That my family in France could so far forget
themselves and their honor as to betray me and my cause shows me how
great an enemy Catherine de Medici has always been to me. At this very
moment, when they should be ensuring my safe return to Scotland, they
are spending all their time and trouble trying to marry little Henri
d’Anjou to the old spinster of England. They will side with her against
me and my cause. They will agree with her that my needs can be
forgotten. Elizabeth will leave me here in miserable Tutbury, or bundle
me into some other faraway fortress; she will stick me in Kimbolton
House, like poor Katherine of Aragon, and I will die of neglect. She
will have a son and he will disinherit me.

--
wywm299471