Well, this had to come some day....
I just had to decide to drop support for iOS3 in iPeng (for iPhone)
with one of the next releases.
The reason is that obviously with Apple's current SDK development
(debug) builds in some cases behave differently than distribution
builds like they are being released on the App Store. With the current
release we have an issue that didn't show up at all during testing and
I can reproduce it only shows up when doing distribution builds which
makes it very, very hard to identify let alone fix issues.

Add to that that managing, installing and testing distribution builds
under iOS3 is much harder than under iOS 4 and newer which means I have
practically no beta tester support for testing under iOS 3 anymore -
nobody found this particular issue, for example, even though beta
builds were affected, too.

Under these circumstances I find it too risky and way too much effort
to continue support for these old platforms.

There will be one additional bugfix release for iOS 3, though. So if
you see some errors that need addressing please report them as soon as
possible so that I can make sure they are part of that release.

--
pippin

---
see iPeng, the Squeezebox iPhone remote and
*New: iPeng for iPad*, at penguinlovesmusic.com