gruntwolla;665343 Wrote:
> Forgive me if I'm being naive here, but if paranoia becomes reality,
> couldn't a third party take over the running of mysqueezebox.com.

Sure, but it would require patched firmware as I think the hostname to
mysqueezebox.com is hard coded in the device firmware at the moment.
Which is easy to do on the Radio, Touch but a bit more complex for the
older models.

gruntwolla;665343 Wrote:

> If the new third party were seen to be committed to r&d, then would
> people not be willing to pay a modest annual subscription?,

Unlikely, people are expecting it to be free, they are paying for the
premium services (Spotify, Rhapsody, ...) and mysqueezebox.com just
gives them access to the services without having a local server. Many
mysqueezebox.com users are currently only using the free internet radio
stations reachable through mysqueezebox.com, so they are currently not
paying a dime and probably want it to be free also in the future. Some
people might be willing to pay but most are just going to continue
expecting Logitech to provide it for free.

Of course, it all depends on the annual subscription fee, but I suspect
it's hard to reach enough users who are willing to pay for it to make a
profit.
How many would pay $5 per month for mysqueezebox.com ?
How many would even pay $12 per year for mysqueezebox.com ?
How many are going to pay anything at all as long as Logitech provides
mysqueezebox.com for free (even if it's not as reliable as most people
would like) ?
What will it cost to host a high reliability solution like
mysqueezebox.com ?
How many full time developers are going to be required to get everyone
to pay an annual subscription fee ?

It's probably fairly easy to reach 10% of the users (mostly through
people on this forum), the hard part is to reach the other 90% which
are required to make a profit.

I personally suspect the profit has to come from hardware sales, pretty
much in similar fashion as Logitech handles it at the moment.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland). If my answer
helped you and you like to encourage future presence on this forum
and/or third party plugin/applet development, 'donations are always
appreciated' (http://erland.isaksson.info/donate))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.