andyg;665988 Wrote:
> Actually I should mention that the code Apple released doesn't appear to
> include any MP4 code, only code to decode raw CAF (CoreAudio Format)
> files, and of course basically all ALAC files are going to be in MP4.
> So that would require additional code...Yes. But --alluding to my earlier
> post -- the function of the extra code
would only be to route the contents of all boxes into the bitbucket,
until it encounters the one box that contains the actual raw audio
stream.

However there might be another problem; it could be that MP4 is
fundamentally not live streamable to a Squeezebox type of player. Due
to the aforementioned box structure, I believe you have to start
reading an MP4 from the beginning of the file, because you calculate
each box position as a chained offset from the previous one, and thus
ultimately from the start of the file. I don't think the boxes have
unique header codes to identify the beginning each box, so if you
started at a random position in the file (e.g. by means of an HTTP
Range Seek) you would never be able to re-sync.

Of course it is possible that the ALAC core audio stream, (what is
inside the audio box), might itself have frames with unique header
codes, so possibly the player could simply ignore the outer MP4 boxes
entirely, and just re-synch on the internal ALAC frames. => If that
would be the case, then Andy's concerns about handling the MP4 stuff
would be trivial: just ignore it ;-)

--
AndrewFG

Regards,
AndrewFG

Try out Whitebear. The middleware that joins the two worlds of:
1. UPnP/DLNA media clients and media players, and,
2. Squeezebox Server and Squeeze Players
Download it for free here: http://www.whitebear.ch/mediaserver