toby10;669168 Wrote:
> SqueezeBox is and likely will remain a niche product. [snip]
You are spot on.

I think the big problem for the Squeezebox lineup is the requirement to
have a "server" and have the players connect to it via a network. I have
said many times that I think Logitech have missed a major trick by not
having a branded server that they could sell with the players.

I know two people who heard and played with my Squeezebox setup and
then went out and bought Sonos and had it professionally installed! In
both cases they did not bother with their own music collection but just
use it to access Napster and now Spotify - so no server was needed. In
both cases they have extensive collections of music on their iPods, and
PCs that they are ignoring.

I had a friend who bought a Duet but just did not get on with it and
sold it later, mainly because I was not prepared to give him 24/7 on
site and phone support for it.

I don't think most people on this forum have the faintest idea how
*totally* ignorant 99% of the population is of this kind of technology.
What is more they are even less interested to find out!

Heck, most even get their 6 year old kids to work the DVD player for
them!

Last weekend I was away at my parent's house so my wife had a few girl
friends round for an evening drink.  Boringly the Controller decided it
was time to disconnect from the wi-fi and she was unable to access her
playlist.  She was about to give up but my 10 year old daughter rang me
up and said if I could fix it.

So I logged into the SBS web interface from my parents house and
started the playlist.  Her friends were astonished when the music came
on that I was able to achieve such an incredible feat.

When I got back I told my wife that I had installed a Controller app on
her Android phone that she could use if the Controller disconnected
again.  The look on her face was a mixture of total disdain and
incredulity that I would even suggest such a thing.

As far as she is concerned if something does not work first time it is
"broken". There is no point in trying to fix it unless, of course, I am
around to do it for her!

--
TheLastMan

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology DS107+ NAS (with firmware 2.3-1157) running
Squeezebox Server 7.5.1 on Synology Package Manager
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.