sebp;671384 Wrote:
> Here's (my rough and probably inaccurate translation for) an excerpt
> from 'an interview'
> (http://www.clubic.com/internet/google/google-tv/actualite-458400-logitech-interview-junien-labrousse.html)
> by Junien Labrousse (Executive Vice President, Products and President,
> Logitech Europe):
> > > >
> > NOW THAT AIRPLAY TECHNOLOGY BECOMES THE GENERAL RULE, WHAT'S THE FUTURE
> > OF THE SQUEEZEBOX DIGITAL MUSIC STREAMING RANGE OF PRODUCTS?
> > The Squeezebox range of products fills a very specific need. Listening
> > to Internet radios, accessing online music services (Deezer and
> > Spotify, for example). There are several things to improve: we have to
> > simplify the product's positioning because it's hard to sell, but we
> > also have to work on the user interface. The first Squeezebox was used
> > to stream music anywhere in one's house. Internet radios came later. In
> > fact, most of Squeezebox customers today are more interested by the
> > Internet radio capability. Many of our developments aren't absolutely
> > necessary any more, and we need to rework the product from start for a
> > positioning change. Naturally, we'll keep the features our users have
> > liked so far.
> > > >
> Doesn't smell very good, if you ask me...

If you ask me, this was a very positive message, because it shows
that:
1. Logitech is aware that they need to focus on the user experience to
make the products a success, something they haven't done during the
last years with all the technical non music and non user related
focus.
2. Logitech is planning for a future and doesn't plan to abandon the
Squeezebox products as some people seems to think.
3. Logitech are aware of the fact that even if some people doesn't like
it online streaming services is important for a success among the
masses.
4. Logitech are aware that they can't drop important features that
exist today, like playback of locally stored music.

If I ask more or less any of my friends when they last purchased a CD,
it's not during the last years, they all get their music through other
channels than CD's these days. Some purchase music as electronic
downloads from Apple, some of gets music from torrent sites, but most
of them just gets music from online streaming services. I'm not sure
how it looks like in other countries but I'm imagining it's going to be
pretty much the same situation everywhere around the world fairly soon.

Audiophiles are still going to want the CD because of the quality
difference, but Logitech can't target audiophiles because on that
market they are going to compete with HiFi manufacturers and most
audiophiles are going to trust something with a HiFi manufacturer logo
on the front a lot more than something with a Logitech logo on the
front.

--
erland

(Developer of 'many plugins/applets (both free and commercial)'
(http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/User:Erland).
If you like to encourage future presence on this forum and/or third
party plugin/applet development, 'consider purchasing some plugins'
(http://license.isaksson.info))
Interested in music discovery ? See 'Social Music Discovery (SMD)'
(http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?p=656713) project.