I sometimes connect to my Vortexbox library from locations outside of my
home by connecting via the external IP address.  What I've noticed in
iPeng that concerns me, is that even when I am home and on WiFi my
players will often times show as being connected to the external
address (99.82.xxx.xxx), rather than the internal address
(192.168.xxx.xxx).  This seems to happen by itself.  I'll switch the
players over to the internal address, but the next time I open iPeng
they'll show as connected to the external address.  Doesn't happen
everytime, but often enough that I'm posting this question.

Does this distinction between external and internal address matter?  Is
the data being routed through my cable modem (out to the internet, then
back in) when a player is connected to the external address?  This
would introduce a potential bottleneck, no?

All this said, I've not noticed any playback issues.  Just want to
understand this better.

--
ajkidle

Squeezeboxen: 2x SBR, SB3, 2x Boom, Radio, iPeng
Controlled by: iPhone 4 running iPeng
Server: MSI Nettop 100 running VortexBox 1.10, SBS 7.6.1
Music Sources: Locals FLACs, Rhapsody, Pandora