As a result of my quest for an alternative system to Squeezebox I'm
going to buy a Touch. The store where I usually buy these thing have
them for 239 Euro. They are currently sold out though. I guess this is
due to the holiday season.
I sold one of my SB3's when I bought the Sonos ZP90. But now that I've
sold the Sonos player I'm going to complete my system again with a
Touch. For me there is still no Squeezebox alternative out there.

As to your question about listening to radio streams without
mysqueezebox.com, yes that is possible. You can use a local server
instead, or you can use TinySBS inside the Touch. Many radio stations
have an URL for audio streaming and don't require a plugin.

--
Pascal Hibon

2 x SB3, 1 x SB Boom and 1 x SB Radio - all wireless
ReadyNAS NVX running SBS
iPeng on iPod Touch.
SqueezePad on iPad.