As You have already figured out Yourself, the best SB server might just
be the computer You already have :-)

Personally I used to think I need a NAS, but ended up using our
desktop-replacement laptop with Windows 7 and WOL (wake on lan) - works
great.

Powerconsumption is minimal, 1.7watt in suspende mode, awakes in 2-3
seconds, uses approx. 17watts just streaming. It's very powerfull too
with Intel Corei7. Perfect mediaserver if You think about it.

Usually it's even running anyway because someone is using the laptop,
in this case powerconsumption of running SB server is zero.

--
Letten

Sboxes: Duet, Classic, Radio, 2 Boom's
Server: HP Laptop, Core i5-540M, 4Gb DDR3, WOL (Wake-on-lan), 1.7watt
suspended, Windows 7, LMS 7.7
Router: Linksys WRT54G wireless