I have been experimenting with Tasker this afternoon and have had
encouraging results.
Here is some info that might help others wanting to give it a try:

Install Tasker (it is a paid for app)

Add a profile, I imaginitively called mine 'Headphones'
First Context (the trigger) is 'State', 'Hardware,'Headset Plugged',
type is 'No Mic'.
Create a task, name 'Start Squeeze'
Add some actions, I chose the following;
'App','Load App','Squeeze Player'
'Task,'Wait,'2 seconds'
'Media',Media Control','Toggle Pause'
'App','Load App','Orange Squeeze
'Task','Wait,'2 seconds
'Audio','Media Volume','100'

I found I needed the 'wait' comands for it to work consistently

On the 'Profiles screen, long press on the Start Task, 'Add Exit Task
Create a task, name 'Close Squeeze'
Add some actions, I chose;
'App','Load App','Orange Squeeze'
'App','Go Home'
'App','Load App','Squeeze Player'
'Audio','Media Volume','75'
'Task','Wait','2 seconds'
'Media','Media Control','Stop'
'App','Go Home'

There is a 'Kill App' action, but it didn't seem to do anything to
Squeeze Player.
I had a couple of crashes during my experimenting, which I sent the
reports to Stefan, but I am fairly sure were my fault, not Squeeze
Player's. I have had no crash with the above settings.

Following the success of the above, I added a profile triggered by
Bluetooth connect to my Logitech Z515 speaker, using the same actions
as above, the 'State trigger was 'Net', 'Bluetooth Connected', selected
my (already paired) speaker, then added my existing 'start' and 'close'
tasks to this profile.

Both profiles seem to do exactly what I need, so thanks again to Uzi2
for the app suggestion, and to Stefan for the ideas on how to use it.

--
Guernsey Zoo