Soulkeeper;692219 Wrote:
> The SB3's DAC can do max 24/48, and I suspect this also applies to the
> digital out. SC/SBS/LMS will transparently transcode 24/96 files to
> 24/48 via SoX when playing them on your SB3.
>
> So if you want "the benefits of 24/96", you'll probably need a Touch,
> with or without a DAC.
>
> That being said, will you be able to hear the difference between a
> 24/96 track, and the same track properly downsampled to 24/48? Whether
> that is humanly possible, is disputed. AFAIU, nobody has yet been able
> to do so in a double blind test.
>
> Anyway, it's probably more cost effective to spend the money on speaker
> upgrades, or room treatment.

I'm starting to catch on.

So with the SBTouch, LMS won't need to transcode 24/96, but will
transcode anything above that (eg. 24/192).

Does SoX need a lot of mem or CPU? I have a 2GB Win7 dell zino as my
server.

I'm interested in seeing if I can tell the diff between a downsampled
24/96 and one that is decoded natively.

The bottom line is this: will 24/96 content sound better on a SBT or a
SB3?

fwiw, speakers are on the way

Thanks for the info!
- jmx