ralphpnj;696433 Wrote:
> Nice but let's change things slightly:
>
> But what if I owned both the vinyl and the CD, ripped the vinyl,
> then sold the CD but kept the vinyl?
>
> Now I could chose to listen the "vinyl" but played via my Squeezebox.
That is no different from just buying the CD and then selling it
without ever having ripped it, which is perfectly legal.

You don't own the music, you own the carrier.  The point of all this
legislation is to prevent people from listening to music without
royalties going to the record company, musician and their
representatives.

In the UK in the past it was technically illegal to make a copy of an
LP on cassette tape. However recently it was made legal to rip a CD for
personal use on a portable player. This was a concession to the fact
that one person is unlikely to want to listen to the CD and MP3 rip
simultaneously.

However you are (technically) in breach of this if you have a copy on
your portable player AND a copy on a server to be played on a
Squeezebox which could be listened to by others while you are listening
to the same recording on your iPod somewhere else.

Is it legal to own a ripped copy of an album having sold the original
carrier?  The answer in most jurisdictions is no, this is because you
are essentially allowing one recording to be used by two people at the
same time and (crucially) in different places with only one of them
having paid a royalty.

This is something that could be propagated ad infinitum if each new
owner of a CD rips it and sells it on. Theoretically one CD sale, and
one royalty payment to the musician, could result in numerous ripped
copies of the music.

In practice the "buy CD, rip it, sell CD" strategy is unlikely to lead
you to be prosecuted unless you make a business out of it in some way.
At best this strategy will just reduce the cost of ownership as few
CDs, if any, will be sold at a profit.

To sell a CD you would be paying for:
- ebay listing
- packaging
- postage
In the UK that lot will cost you around £2.50.

The worst is that in order to guarantee a sale you would probably need
to significantly under-cut the "market" price, otherwise a recording
might not sell and you would need to re-list it at further cost.

You might consider this worthwhile for a rare and expensive recording.
But as decent second hand copies of most CDs can be bought for £3-£5
few would find it worth the time and aggravation.

--
TheLastMan

Matt
http://www.last.fm/user/MJL-UK
*SqueezeBoxes:* SB Duet (Controller + two receivers)
*Server:* Synology DS107+ (500GB) NAS running LMS 7.7.0 on SSODSmod
4.14
*Network:* Netgear DG834GT ADSL modem/router, 2 x Buffalo WHR-HP-G54 as
access points
*Livingroom:* Receiver into Naim 42/110 amp, B&W CM2 speakers
*Kitchen:* Receiver into Denon DM37 mini-system, B&W 686 speakers
*Study:* Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/Headline.