If Cpu power and strict bitrate are not critical, one could also do:

Code:
--------------------

  flc mp3 * *
  # FB:{BITRATE=--abr
%B}T:{START=--skip=%t}U:{END=--until=%v}D:{RESAMPLE=--resample %D}
  [flac] -dcs $START$ $END$ -- $FILE$ | [lame] --silent -V $QUALITY$ $RESAMPLE$
- -

Bitrate limiting is not used for encoding (just, I suppose, for
triggering the transcode) and one can use the Quality setting to choose
among the different VBR presets, that are definitely the most optimized
toward quality. The default quality setting for Lame is 5, for the -q
switch. I guess one could hardcode the desired one, taking into account
his CPU (it's not something that needs to change from player to player).

Would the above work?