bigsur78 wrote:

> I'm very proud of the system (and sound) that I've been able to achieve
> on a pretty tight budget.

You should !

bigsur78 wrote:

> Thing is, I've now realized that there's always something better to
> strive for, isn't there.

The grass is always greener on the other side, isn't it ? Please don't
fall into that trap, it's an addiction.

bigsur78 wrote:

> So hoping for a little advice on my next upgrade, keeping in mind that
> any purchases over $500 are pretty much impossible given my current
> financial situation.

It seems that with audio, price increase exponentially for diminishing
returns. As you are happy with your current system, just enjoy it and
forget about this need to always upgrade. Especially if money is tight,
this usually means that there are other essentials where you could use
that money.

Now, this is where I would spend some of that money :
1) A backup solution. You don't want those track to disappear and all
the hard work that went into creating your collection to be reduce to
nothing.
2) A battery for your Radio. Your radio does not want to be tethered, it
wants to go in the garden when you play with the kids and in the garage
when you are repairing stuff what the kids broke.
3) A few CDs you have been lusting after for a long time. It's about the
music.
4) A SB Radio for the kids. They want to listen to music in the bedroom.

Have fun...

Jean

I figure I have a few options, and am wondering what would give me the
biggest boost in sound (on the living room system)
1. I could upgrade to a Squeezebox Touch.
2. I could keep the SB3 and add a cheap DAC, perhaps a used Cambridge
Audio DAC magic
3. I could upgrade my amp (something used in the sub-500 range... not
sure what I'd be looking for.)
I am not throwing parties so don't need things to go too loud... really
I'm looking for optimum detail/soundstage/etc.
Any ideas on where to go next?
Cheers (and sorry for the long post!)