erland wrote:
> On which platforms is this a common problem today ?
> I'm just asking because I want to understand, I'm not saying that you
> are wrong.
>
> If the issues are limited to platforms that aren't officially supported,
> it feels like a better solution would be to add support for those
> platforms, either through third party helper apps or not, doesn't really
> matter as long as they work. I'm personally not convinced it will work
> better just because Logitech would bundle it and maintain it
> themselves.
>
> Do you have issues personally or is this something you read on the
> forums and think other people would like to improve ?

Not so much/Yes

But if it came bundled you don't have to gradually find out whats
missing :)

At the moment I'm only lacking WMA and WMAL transcoding on my Linux box
I think ? (it might be more ,but I have not stumbled there yet )

And some plugins want's their own transcoders as the provided ones are
not enough ?

I know that lame is the "best" regarding mp3 but due to licensing it can
never be included, forcing everyone to separately install lame on their
system , why not include another mp3 encoder (licensed) in the bundle.
The oddballs requring "high end" mp3 can fix that themselves .
I really don't care for ultimate mp3 fidelity so I would have been happy
saving those 10 minutes finding out where to get lame for my platform .

I'm not against options and configure stuff to my own liking ,but stuff
that could be made simpler should be .

And of-course on CPU underpowered platforms it's a no go .

Getting at it from another angle would be improving the native decoders
on Touch it has problems with 24/96 aiff and some 24/96 alac I don't
know about 24/96 WMAL ? .
There are odd exceptions in the native decoders sometimes ?

it should in total work so well that the file types settings page could
go away or be a hidden option (like a plug in you could activate ) .
To be fair it is much better now and someone installing on a bog
standard pc never have to fudge with this unless having some special
needs like ingus .

LMS should configure agaisnt the installed platform by itself . I think
this would make some stuff easier for new users