DejanM wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think it is a time to put a new SB unit on the market. SB Touch is ok
> but we (customers, market in general) need something that can play
> 24/192 or even 32/384. Is there something cooking in the kitchen ?

No we don't 24/96 is already overkill for human listeners ? We need
better recordings , the delivery format has very litle influence
compared to the sound of the master/recording . ( actually the sq of the
majority of existing recordings is such that not even 16/44.1 is a
technical limit )

If some vendor insit on selling 24/192 LMS can down sample on the fly to
24/96 or if your servers is a low powered NAS you can do that offline ,
or buy the 24/96 content .
If yourdac is working properly a human being simply can not hear the
diff between 24/192 and 24/96 .

I suggest an experiment downsample one of your own 24/192 or 24/96
tracks to 16/44.1 and set up some kind of blind test . I've done that
it's very revealing .
It sometimes happens that some hirez version of a recording actually
sounds better than the CD version ,but this has nothing to do with
16/44.1 vs 24/96 but they simply sourced a better version/master .

So you can have the benefit of a better master in any delivery format >=
16/44.1 they will sound the same .

You migth have to dowsample yourself to see this, as coincidentally the
different cd and hirez and DVDA or SACD version are never from,the same
master ( with some minor exceptions ) and all of the sound different .
you can bet on that on a hybrid disc the cd layer and DSD/DVDA layer
will never sound the same ;)