Well, that makes a lot more sense.  I'll have to check with Buffalo Tech
Support (yet again) to see about Sox.  FWIW, the File Types screen I
mentioned earlier does invoke Sox for some of the options (such as
handling Ogg Vorbis files), but that doesn't necessarily mean the
program is there.  I do know that Buffalo have set up this version of
the LinkStation to run only in safe mode (unless, I suppose, you throw
out the default software installation and roll your own), so I don't
know if that would cause a problem for Sox in the first place.