PaulR Wrote:
> Started looking into getting all my music tagged for replaygain. I have
> all my music stored as flac.
> A trawl of the forums revealed that I can get set up by using
> foobar2000 to tag all my music which I've started. I have some
> questions as to how this actually works.
>
> Does it consider the volume levels of every track in the music
> collection before applying gain values? If so, does this mean every
> time I rip a new CD I'm going to have to rerun it across the whole
> collection again? Hope not becaus it seems to be taking ages!
Since you're using Foobar2000, the process is very straightforward.
Just load up all the albums you want to process. If they are in a
single directory hierarchy, that's trivial: right-click the folder in
Windows Explorer and select "Enqueue in Foobar2000". Now select
everything in FB2K (Ctrl-A), then right-click to get the pop-up menu
and select Replaygain -> Scan selection as multiple albums. This will
add both track and album gain tags. What happens is that all of the
tracks in each album are analysed, and after the last track in an album
is done, it writes the tags to all the files in that album. If you
switch on the console log display you'll see what's going on.

As for rescanning the entire library: no that's not required. Just
replaygain scan the new CD(s). Also, FB2K has an option to only scan
and apply replaygain if the file doesn't already have the tags. If you
switch this option on, then even if you tell FB2K to replaygain your
entire collection, it'll (very quickly) skip all those that were
already done. (Sorry, I'm at work right now and don't recall the exact
place where this option is set).

--
cliveb