autopilot wrote:
> Ok, this thread was intended to get some hypothetical views about what
> people would buy now, other than a Squeezebox. The first line was
> "Putting the fact that we can still run our hardware in the short term
> aside for now" was intended to avoid "but I'm still going to use my SB!"
> which is well covered in other threads. A valid point, but not what I
> was aiming for. I should have worded it better. Obviously a significant
> number of people are going to jump ship rather than battle on to the
> end. Are there any contenders right now?
Thanks for clarifying. I don't really understand what "battle" is
involved in continuing to use a completely functioning system that is
working brilliantly, and should continue to do so for some time with
minimal intervention. But I'll play along.

If my SBs suddenly stopped working today (meaning no scope for a local
LMS+SB for my collection / Sonos for services hybrid that some people
are talking about) then I would most likely go for Sonos. My library is
well within their 65k tracks (or whatever it is) limit, and while I have
some hi-res stuff I could live with the regular-res versions or making a
copy transcoded to regular-res. And for my situation the Sonos has
actually gotten less expensive over the years, because compared to when
I first made the SB/Sonos choice 7 years ago (a) Sonos now has a player
without an amp for $350, (b) I now have ethernet at the location of my
main audio system, so I wouldn't have to "waste" a Sonos player wired to
the router to do nothing but establish the mesh network, and (c) no need
to buy a Sonos controller because I can use an iTouch and an iPad. And
I'd probably learn to like it, although my wife would take longer,
because she prefers using the SB Controller to any of the iThings.