rayman1701 wrote:
> Really a bummer.  In the 2 1/2 years since I got my Touch it has become
> the primary focus of my listening.  I looked at all kinds of different
> systems while the Touch was in that long delay before it finally hit the
> stores, and for quite a while before deciding to by a Touch as well.
> But I couldn't find anything that did exactly what I wanted, everything
> else just seemed to be lacking something and priced way above what I
> would be able to invest.  I've not seen anything that has come out since
> I got my Touch to change the outlook of that either, so I picked up
> another Touch so that I'll have a spare.  Been meaning to do that for a
> while, but was waiting to see if by some magical chance they did an
> upgraded Touch that might be better, but no.  So got one from Amazon
> while I could, and will be watching sales in case they do any wild
> markdowns to maybe pick up another one.  Since I mostly use it for my
> library, everything should work for the foreseeable future and since I
> don't use Rhapsody that often, if that stops working, it will suck, but
> I'll figure something out at that time.  Weird times...   I guess I
> should download a couple of versions of LMS to keep as backups just in
> case.

Yep , using it's digital out it's pretty much the only thing you need :)
in any system at any price level at no loss in SQ ( other than imagined
in the flat earth of audiophiledom ) .

Those expensive hifi branded streamers are not giving you much for the
money unless you fancy something with an built in high quality dac and
can live with all their limitations .

But the future belongs to things with digital inputs , so a player with
analog output is an anachronism , considering that nowadays even the
lowly ht receiver has very good dacs and SQ frighteningly close to the
real things in good hifi (and far better than the voodoo designs ) .

So a streamer with this feature set is going to missed in the market
:-/
But given time and if someone finds the niche viable for business
someone else will invent a new product but it can take some time , i'll
bet it will be a bit more expensive thou , squeezebox amazing
price/performance ratio is hard to beat they expected mass market sale
and geared for that when manufacturing and pricing the squeezeboxes .
Another product may aim directly at a smaller niche with less
expectations on mass sale and choose differently , the hifi market
demands a certain priceness and looks with heavy aluminium chassis etc
;)