Hi folks,
I think it's time to join the debate. I've named the thread "Squeezebox
..." and not LMS because I like to ignore Logitech's last renaming act.

First I was a kind of shocked from hearing the news, but now I ask you:
Do we really need Logitech? As far as I know Squeezebox Server was and
still is open source?! Only the firmware is not open source.So we still
have a great server product and it should be possible to maintain and
further develope this great product by a community. So we need players
and remote controls. Remote controls are not a problem at all iPeng is
the best remote control for a music server I've ever seen! There are
other remote controls for nearly any platform. Are there still people
without smartphones or tablets? So we need players. We have software
players like SqueezeSlave and SqueezePlay. So we need Hardware for
Server and Player. What about Raspberry Pi? Raspberry Pi is a very cheep
hardware platform which can be use as a Squeezebox Server and a player
and if you like you can run server and player on only one device! This
device costs only 35 $.

All these products have nothing to do with Logitech. So we are ready to
go, aren't we?

To be serious, there is still something to do to run this setup as a
100% replacement of the existing players, but we are very close to this.
It's all up and running in my SqueezePlug project and meantime I'm
working on a completely new version with very good effort. One open
thing is to find a replacement for the sluggish internal sound card if
you need analogue or spdif sound-output. HDMI output already work
great!

So take a look at www.squeezeplug.de, and if you like join my project
and help to keep Squeezebox alive!!!