Actually since I first encountered the SB Touch, the thing I have kept
wondering is why Logitech never pushed this direction more aggressively
- as in having the Squeezebox receiver functionality licenced to
receiver manufactuers. Or even better, actually embedding the entire
thing, including touch screen and control functionality within a
receiver.

It makes sense - if you look at AV receivers, they are supposed to be
control units for home AV. But they all suck and their media streaming
capabilties sucks even more. The gap - the opportunity - has been there.
At least until they all went for so-called "Airplay".

So I could never understand why this was not happening. Until I realised
that the receiver makers are even more lame than Logitech.

So it all makes sense.