Gadgety1 wrote:
> I've spent the day researching alternatives. [..] I also thought of
> using a tablet or a phone, since most people have them anyway. To get
> the digital audio out there's a new standard called MHL- Mobile High
> Definition Link (brought to the world by Nokia, Samsung and a few other
> small companies) which uses the micro USB port to bring out HDMI and
> SPDIF digital audio out either through cables, docks etc.

I've been looking at this aspect.  I'd like to use an Android mobile in
some manner similar to Pippin's suggestions for i-Things, and excluding
headphone-out sources.  Converting from the MHL lead to HDMI isn't
difficult.  At least 2 solutions:

(i) Samsung/Others:  standard MHL -> HDMI lead;

(I'm note sure how to get an HDMI signal into either (a) our analogue
in/out traditional HiFi system, or (b) an external DAC.  Apart from
anything else, as I understand it, HDMI audio output 'depends' on what
the receiving HDMI device claims that 'it' is, and what audio
transmission scheme 'it' requires.)

(ii) Hacked MHL/USB lead as here:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1395173&page=2&styleid=16

But, presumably, the audio signals shown in the sketch are still
digital-something, at this point.  Not sure what, though.

regards, Atlantic