Just read "The News"...  very sad, but not surprising :(  Well there's
not much I can add to the 47 page thread I've just read.  Instead, I
would like to think about constructive ways forward.  A few
observations:

1) The Squeezebox ecosystem and community is strong, active,
knowledgeable and engaged.  Yes there are gripes about bugs and quirks,
but that is the same with any sufficiently advanced technology.

2) There are many installed system out there working perfectly, day in
day out for their owners.

3) In many cases (particularly multi-device setups), these installed
systems represent a significant investment in time, money and 'tweaking
effort'.  Replacing them with an alternative, no matter how good, is
non-trivial.  Consider the network, wireless, firewall config, audio
ripping, organising your library etc etc.  It's not like replacing your
TV.  This assumes there is even an acceptable alternative. I'm
personally not convinced there is, for my purposes at least.

4) Despite the corporate gloss imparted my Logitech, the system has its
roots in a small start-up / cottage-industry company.  The early devices
at least were fairly simple, but nicely executed.

5) The server software has always been open.

6) No SB device (to my knowledge) has ever become unsupported by the
server, which to me implies the underlying client-server technology must
be well proven, stable and - given that it has been in use for many
years on old devices - relatively simple.

This to me suggests there is a good possibility to sustain this
ecosystem just in the same way that other open source projects live on.
Maybe in time there's even a possibility to come up with basic 'thin'
players (think SB Receiver) based on a Raspberry Pi or whatever.

So I suppose my question is, what are the legal and technical barriers,
if any, of forking the LMS development and moving away from reliance on
Logitech?  A new forum too, aimed at The New World (Free/Community, not
UE).  Possibly some kind of hum for open source developers? I don't
know, it would just seem wise to me to start considering contingencies
before we wake up one day and find the lights have gone out.

Thoughts?

sim