I finally solved my connection issue. On epoch's suggestion I hooked
another laptop to my LAN and tried to connect to my PC, but wasn't even
able to ping it. It turned out there was firewall software running on my
PC that I hadn't realised of, that came with the VPN software that I use
to connect to the network at work (CheckPoint VPN-1 Secure Client). I
thought I'd switched off everything related to this software, but
apparently I hadn't. I now disabled it using Control Panel -> Network
Connections -> Properties of ethernet adapter. CheckPoint creates an
entry "Check Point SecuRemote" there. I unchecked it and voilĂ !

So thanks everyone for their suggestions, I will now start enjoying my
music :)

Cheers!