results, please visit http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=96660
Question: Would you buy a new Squeezebox player if it became available?

- Yes , if less than $100
- Yes, if less than $200
- Yes, if less than $500
- Yes, if less than $1000
- Yes - price is no object; I just want the best sound
- No - I would NOT buy another Squeezebox player

ninthsrw wrote:

> A: Hell yes HDMI out of a "#2 Device" (i.e. all digital SB, maybe also
> with IR blaster output) would be f-ing brilliant. That would be a huge
> step forward over the competition.
> [snip]
> I would prefer not get side tracked with what is and is not "audiophile"
> -  instead let's focus on raw technical merits.
I agree with your sentiments, so let us focus on technical merits.
Digital out via HDMI may well be convenient, but I am worried about its
merits. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but my understanding is that
the jitter levels of typical HDMI implementations are catastrophically
high. Regular readers here will know that I am sceptical about the
significance of jitter, but even I would baulk at the thought of using
an interface which typically exhibits jitter at the thousands of pS
level. Properly implemented asynchronous USB seems to be the future
interface of choice (although I personally am happy with SPDIF).