Atlantic wrote:
> Very interesting thoughts.  (I don't know anything about DACs and
> today's amps - we only have traditional analogue kit, actually just
> integrated miniHiFi systems with various analogue inputs.)  I think
> you're saying that most analogue conventional amps are ok, but not the
> multichannel kit (such as the OP's Denon?).  I've been thinking about
> the Harmon Kardon range - in particular the stereo items such as
>
> http://uk.harmankardon.com/harman-kardon-product-detail-uk/hk-3490.html
>
> It's a very big box, though.  This has digital in (co-ax, and optical -
> are those a 'standard', do you think, so that the Squeezebox digital
> outputs would 'just work' into these) and presumably has a DAC and, I
> guess reasonable conventional amps?  Do you feel that this kind of kit
> has better 2-channel performance than the sort of AV equipment that you
> were worried about?  And, the same question as the OP raised, external
> DAC could be placed between an SQbox and this amp, so only using the amp
> as an analogue device?  In your view, using analogue power stages is ok
> from the point of view of next step up in quality, (or not)?
>
> Again, thanks for the basic but very useful (to me, too) thread
>
> regards, Atlantic

the harmankardon should be good and certainly a major step up from an
integrated miniHiFI. and yes, the digital in (coax and optical) are
standard and should just work with the Squeezebox. Yes, the Harmankardon
has its own DAC (so Digital out from TOUCH would feed digital in to the
Harmankardon and the Harmon DAC would be one being used.