It depends on what you want the app to do, I suspect. All I want from an
app is to be able to have minimal control from the sofa (where I cannot
see the tiny screen, even if it were angled at the correct position). I
have the "official" one and with that, I can see what's playing, I can
skip tracks and change playlists (and it was free). That's it - it does
all I want and the only limitation is with the tiny screen on my phone.

However, if you want to be able to do everything with an app that you
could do with either the touch-screen or the LMS software, then you may
need to try all three?