toby10 wrote:
> I guess I'm not understanding what the problem is.  Your player and
> external DAC are not capable of playing your 24/192 files natively.
> And when these are files are played they are successfully down sampled
> to 24/96 and play fine.  Correct?
>
> I highly doubt you would hear any discernible difference between 192 and
> 96, down-sampled or not.  Seems you are over complicating a problem that
> doesn't exist on hardware not capable of playing 192, all to hear likely
> no difference when properly played at 96.  If I'm understanding you
> issue.  ;)

agree about the 192 vs 96 (no human being can hear any difference there
unless the difference is caused by different underlying master
recordings, i.e., unrelated to the 44.1 vs 96 vs 192)

But unrelated to this, his problem seems to be that when there is
downconverting there seems to be a lot of buffering and stuttering if I
have this right.  This makes me think that the server doing the
downconversion may not be powerful enough when used with Jriver and
whitebear. I don't use either of these so I'm no help with that.  I
suspect the OP might be better posting in the whitebear thread where the
author of that may be of some help.