NFLnut wrote:
> Honestly, and I know that I'm risking getting flamed BIG time on this
> board, but if Logitech is going to pull the plug, I think it's time to
> abandon or phase out LMS in any "home built" effort! I still think the
> Squeezebox is THE best music player on the market. It's truly a shame
> that Logitech IS pulling the plug, but obviously their numbers probably
> dictate phasing out the hardware. I don't think ANY of us were under the
> illusion that the SB was setting the world on fire with sales. It was
> always a niche product. And that all being said .. LMS has just gotten
> to where it is just WAY TOO SLOW. I run LMS on a quad core i7. And at
> times, it just crawls .. even hangs for up to a minute or two when I am
> accessing a large folder. I have actually been looking for an
> alternative .. but none better yet exists.
>
> Squeezeboxen .. awesome hardware. But the LMS is just getting almost
> unusable. For me, anyway. If the Sonos had a visual display a la the
> Squeezebox Classic (which I have), or the Touch (which I was scanning
> eBay etc for, but guess at these prices I will instead just spend money
> on a product which has NOT been ruled obsolete). I truly feel "dirty"
> contemplating Sonos, but they are still actively selling their product.
> They will have to be in my short-list of future music players.  I just
> found out about Logitech pulling the plug two days ago, thus I missed
> out on getting an in-stock Touch in September/October when the prices
> were still reasonable.

interesting about the slowness of LMS. Not at all trying to flame you,
but as an additional data point, I can say that I use LMS 7.7.2 on a
win7 quad core i7 machine (as well as my slower Vortexbox machines). I
don't notice any slowness at all. Browsing my library is very snappy and
certainly no hanging or crawling.  And I have a library of mostly FLACs
a bit over 70,000 files. Most with artwork.  I do note that you mention
"accessing a large folder".  I use almost entirely browsing by Artist,
Album, or Genre. My files all have good tags. I rarely use "browse music
folder".  LMS is not really designed to use Browse Music Folder as a way
of accessing music. Its internal database is based on tags, etc.   So
using BMF could be the cause of the hanging you see.