JohnSwenson wrote:
> I've spent all afternoon looking at this, what I can come up with is
> that the USB ports on the Am3358 are EHCI compatible when used in host
> mode. (hardware pins forcing host mode). There is a driver that works
> for this (OMAP_ehci). The problem seems to be with the musb driver which
> is the one specifically written to handle the OTG modes, which is what
> the kernels use since they detect what it actually is. This may be wrong
> since I haven't actually found anybody outright saying this, but from
> reading between the lines this is what seems to be happening. If this is
> true it might be possible to force the use of the ehci driver rather
> than the musb driver.
>
> There have also been reports that these issues only occur with newer
> kernels and that things were working with older kernels.
>
> The AM3715 was one of my top contenders, but it does not support DDR2 or
> DDR3 memory, only LPDDR, which has a memory speed about half of what you
> can get from DDR2. The memory chips are also quite a bit more expensive
> and larger than regular DDR2 memory chips.
>
> I've ordered a BeagleBone, it should be here this coming week sometime
> and I can actually play with it and actually see what happens with
> different kernels and DACs.

Great - let us know where you get to.  My only waryness with this is
that we don't want to get into needing to look at linux usb drivers, so
I would prefer to be using the ones commonly used and know to be
working.  The Pi uses something which appears not to have a hardware
scheduler and relies on the interrupt driver to schedule packets - which
leads to it missing packets in iso streams...  The EHCI principle of
having a hardware schedule is working well for us on other devices so is
lowest risk...  (Plus I spend too long instrumenting the EHCI scheduler
to reach the conclusion of what Touch hardware would do :))