On sample rates, DSD etc here are my thoughts, the design I'm looking at
will go up to 384 as is, hardware wise. Whether it will actually go that
fast is going to be purely a software issue. As to doing DSD, a DSD over
I2S implementation may not be too hard, but I can guarantee it will not
be in Gen1. If it is decided to be a good thing, I will want to do a
separate test board (with just the DAC and what it takes to do the DSD)
to make sure it can be done without sacrificing the "normal" output. The
problem is that unless we add a separate set of output jacks the output
of the the DAC and DSD have to be muxed together to go out over the
single set of output jacks. I need to do some experimenting to make sure
it can be done well.

On the board size, the picture from Norm is exactly what I was
envisioning for Gen1. One aspect missing here is that stuff is going to
be on both sides of the board. So not all connectors have to be lined up
next to each other on the same side.

My original thought of 3x3 was based on an estimate of the board area
needed, it's not cast in concrete. I don't really want to make the board
too large, you actually get better results if you keep things tight in a
small board area. It can certainly grow if we need the space.

I was envisioning that Gen2 would probably be a little larger than Gen1
anyway, just to get all the connectors on there!

Thanks Norm for the pictures, that helps to visualize what was in my
head.

John S.