bpa wrote:
> I've a panasonic (2012 model) and it is the same - audio from analog TV
> signals (which are rare)  are not output on the digital audio but are
> ouput on the analog audio out.
> Only sources with digital audio are output on TV digital audio out (i.e
> TV will not do analogue to digirtal audio conversion for output).
>
> Also with my Panasonic, if say a dvd with 5.1 audio is playingf
> connected to TV by HDMI - as TV only has 2.0 audio will negotiate over
> HDMI to get 2.0 from DVD player and only 2.0 audio will be output on
> digital audio out.  So a sound in this case will only play 2.0 audio
> unless directly connected to DVD player.

Yes, both are common limitations of TV audio outs, neither would be
corrected if using HDMI out.  ;)

Few would have analog audio input into a TV if they are expecting
digital/5.1 output.  The more common setup is digital to AVR for
surround and simultaneous analog to TV for non-surround use (like
watching news, etc...).

2.0 digital output is really meant for input into an AVR which will
matrix 2.0 to 5.1 (or more) via a DSP like Dolby ProLogicII.

Common TV audio outs these days are:
-  5.1 digital out if using the TV's own tuners (OTA, cable, QAM)
-  2.0 digital out if using external digital input source (DVD,
sat/cable box, BD)
-  no digital output if using external analog input source