erland wrote:
> You will always have this issue when the software and hardware comes
> from the same company, the only real way to get around that issue is to
> have a documented protocol and allow third party hardware and software
> vendors to integrate with it, that way you aren't dependent on a single
> company.
Am I missing something? Isn't SlimProto documented and publicly
available? Even if it isn't documented, LMS is open-source so SlimProto
can be discovered.

While I agree that Sonos is the proprietory system most likely to
survive, it strikes me that systems built around LMS and open-source
players such as Squeezelite can be kept alive for as long as the
enthusiast wishes, and are therefore the most future-proof of the lot.