JohnSwenson wrote:

> Any thoughts?

I'm not sure the applet infrastructure is going to be completely gone
based on what Triode said here:
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?98156-Announce-JiveLite-cut-down-squeezebox-control-application
http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?97881-Community-Funded-Squeezebox-Replacement-Would-you-be-interested&p=738431&viewfull=1#post738431

The next question is what kind of add-ons people want on this platform.

Is it just screen saver related add-ons or are we considering other
options to ?

I could see a need for add-ons which integrate the HiFi equipment, like
IR-blaster and amplifier volume control add-ons, but except for that I
mainly see a need to run screen saver related add-ons on the player
side. I'm not even sure about IR-blaster and volume control as I believe
those are run as server side plugin today and obviously works good, so
what remains is probably screen savers.

As long as LMS must exist to make the device work, the only add-ons that
makes sense on the player side are those that have to run in the HiFi
cabinet. If they can run on the server in the storage room in the back
there isn't a need to support that kind of add-ons on the player, more
or less I think this means that what we need on the player side is a way
to make screen savers, custom UI skins and visualizers. It doesn't make
sense to run multiple screen savers and visualizers at the same time,
but it does make sense to have them separated from the player to ensure
a badly performing screen saver won't disturb the audio.

I believe Mnyb is on the right track, making it easy to install add-ons
is the key.

Also, a general recommendation from my side is to not tie any new
software too much to LMS, reason being that I'm not sure LMS is going to
be what we will use on longer terms for this hardware. LMS has a place
on short terms while Logitech is maintaining it, but when Logitech stops
maintaining it we will likely switch to something else after a while. I
don't think there is enough interest among community developers to step
up and start maintaining LMS by themselves, I think we are more likely
going to see completely new solutions when LMS stops working.

For the UI, on longer terms, I would focus on a XBMC integration rather
than making something based on lua and SqueezePlay, because XBMC is more
likely to survive on longer terms than something based on lua and
SqueezePlay. However, something based on lua and SqueezePlay makes sense
on short terms as it might make it possible to re-use a lot of code from
existing Squeezebox applets. Another option is to run Android on the
hardware and get access to the Android app market.