ajkidle wrote:
> What then *is* a backup plan?  I'm not sure I understand this line of
> argument.  If my HDD fails, I lose my FLAC library ... which I have
> spent countless hours ripping, tagging, etc.  How is a secondary back-up
> drive a more robust solution than RAID 1?
>
> And although I understand the off-premise argument, I'm not interested
> in taking it that far.  If my house burns down, I'll have bigger
> problems to worry about.
As others pointed out HD will fail sooner or later, most likely the RAID
controller will eventually fail also. You can use Raid to protect
against HD failure but to protect against RAID controller failure (or
the little device that you are running) you need to take a backup once a
while, a simple USB drive enclosure will do.

I have 6TB array and backup via usb things I really do not want to
loose. As far as fire is concerned, I have a friend whose basement was
flooded waist deep. He said "I have mud in my drives". His most priced
data that he lost were pictures that were not replaceable, so once a
year I run an usb backup on important stuff and take it to my office.