JackOfAll wrote:
> And you are more than welcome to use another solution. I have a drawer
> full of ARM hardware, that I have fiddled with for a week, then
> discarded for various reasons. I haven't found an achilles heel with the
> Wandboard yet, even if it is overkill for for a simple client player.
> (And I seriously doubt the Pi will ever be 100% in the USB department,
> or than any driver "enhancement" will magically solve the issue with the
> latency that causes the dropped USB packets.) For the cheapest solution
> possible, the Pogoplug seems to be the best bet, but not something I've
> used personally so I'm hesitant to recommend it.

To add to this - we specifically picked the Wandboard for two reasons
(and you can see some agonising on this on the thread re hardware):
1) We know it supports USB Dacs well as it has hardware ehci based
scheduling.  Other platforms such as Beaglebone and Pi have serious
limitations in this respect and I would not want to hold out hope that
Pi ever fixes high speeds iso transfers.
2) The CPU on a module approach makes it much easier and faster for John
to produce the hardware design, concentrating on the audio engineering
not the processor/memory etc.

So yes if we looked for a lowest cost cpu platform we could have picked
something else, but we picked the Wandboard to get us good flexibility
and good performance which we believe is most important for this
project.  That said the software will run on other platforms and there
are many people running it on Pi already (in cases where the usb
problems don't cause concerns)