Sorry to dig out an old message but I have almost exactly the same
problems as Ian. I have tracked back through the discussion that lead
to this question and looked at the comments on bug 775.

Ideally I want a single listing of each track and I want the best
quality to be used for each particular player. In fact comment #16 on
the bug summarises the situation exactly as I see it.

If flac is commented out in types.conf is it possible to play the flac
files or do they become inaccessible?

Ian have you worked out an effective way to deal with this situation in
lieu of a resolution to bug 775.

Thanks
David

--