the nightfly wrote:

> 2) VAMP sounds really promising, except that the last detailed building
> and installation instructions from the creator presupposed the VAMP
> would be connected to the router via Ethernet, which is a non-starter in
> my setup. Later on in that thread, he claims to have wi-fi working, but
> gives no further details, and has been relatively silent since then. Is
> there a thread or website I'm missing that gives directions on how to
> install a VAMP so that it connects over wi-fi rather than being
> hard-cabled?

There are a lot of VAMP threads on the Vortexbox forum at:
http://vortexbox.org/forum.php
I've used the Pi with a USB WiFi module so it's definitely possible to
get it to work with the right USB WiFi dongle, but I haven't tried it on
the VAMP.

the nightfly wrote:

> FWIW, I wouldn't need an internal DAC, since I'd be using the one in my
> receiver. (It would be pointless to use a better DAC, since the receiver
> would first re-digitize the incoming signal for DSP purposes, so it's
> just as well to provide a digital input stream. Accordingly, since I
> don't see any of these projects having an S/PDIF output, I assume I'd be
> using a USB-to-S/PDIF adapter of some sort. Would there be any possible
> pitfalls to such an approach?

The Wandboard have optical S/PDIF, but if I've understood corrected it's
broken and requires some soldering to work properly, so if you don't
have soldering skills it won't work.

The Community Squeeze hardware will definitely have a good quality
S/PDIF, but then you would have to wait for the Community Squeeze add-on
board which is currently being developed and doesn't exist to to the
general public at this stage.

For the Raspberry Pi, you would need a USB-to-S/PDIF adaptor, I've no
idea how much these affects the audio quality.

It might also be possible to use the HDMI output depending if your
receiver have inputs for HDMI.